At Ascendance we are building tomorrow’s hybrid-electric aviation with ATEA, a unique Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft powered by STERNA, our in-house hybrid-electric propulsion system. We focus our efforts in designing an innovative, safe, silent, clean and affordable aircraft that will be able to blend into existing infrastructures and regulations to ease its deployment and maximise social acceptance.
If you are looking for a place where you will have a direct impact on very ambitious products, where you will work close to the hardware and where you can witness the result of your hard work quickly, board ATEA and come fly with us toward the future of aviation!
At the heart of the STERNA team, you will lead design efforts related to our propulsion developments. In conjunction with other systems leads (battery, eDrive, etc..) and with the drive of the Hybrid system architect, you will ensure STERNA and thus ATEA is equipped with a mature, resilient and performant thermal engine to ensure the system’s long range and high speed capabilities. As Propulsion engineer, you will drive the hybrid component of the propulsion system through requirements definition, solutions proposals, implementation and tests both on ground and in flight.
Lead the design, development and integration of the Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) in a hybrid environment.
Lead the design and development and integration of thermal regulation systems for both the propulsion and other subsystems of the propulsion system.
Feed company wide information on thermal engine technologies (piston, turbines, H2, SAF, etc…) to assess and influence technology roadmaps on both short and long term
Ensure safe and reliable use of thermal power sources in the entire flight envelope of the aircraft.
In conjunction with the eDrive lead, pioneer the hybridisation of thermal engine technologies and its implementation on our propulsion system.
Model and predict performance of the internal combustion engines including transient behavior and failure cases.
Drive the different trade-offs at system level and actively participate in aircraft level trade-offs to reach a global optimum in design and performance including solutions recommendations and associated implementation.
Actively participate hands-on in the integration and testing campaign phases of your system as well as the aircraft flight tests.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has proven, extensive experience with the integration of internal combustion engines in an aircraft environment (mostly turbines )
- Has a deep understanding of a turbine or a piston engine failure modes and the system’s adaptations to tackle them
- Demonstrates strong skills in Simulink/Simscape.
- Is able to work autonomously with a drive for initiative related to the start-up environment and work in a small team.
It would be a plus if you but not mandatory !
- Have experience in hybridising a turbine or piston engine
- Have experience in prototyping.
- Have experience with CS-E certification requirements
- Have knowledge of the SC-E19 certification standard and associated MOCs
- Have experience of CS-23 and/or CS-27 certification requirements
- Have experience in industry standards such as DO-254, DO-178, DO-160.
- Know hybrid propulsion systems.
- Know and use UML/SysML modelling language.
In a nutshell, we are looking for someone with:
- 10+ years of experience in turbomachinery or piston engines design, implementation and testing preferably in on-board systems.
- A proven track record of implementing safe and reliable powertrains.
- Knowledge of the aeronautics industry and its specific set of constraints.
Non-discrimination and diversity are our priorities. AFT is open to hire personnalities with their own differencies
Let’s join us !
To Apply : https://taleez.com/apply/internal-combustion-engine-engineer-toulouse-ascendance-flight-technologies-cdi