Thermal hybrid engine – Internship
At Ascendance we are building tomorrow’s hybrid-electric aviation with ATEA, a unique Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft powered by STERNA, our in-house hybrid-electric propulsion system. We focus our efforts in designing an innovative, safe, silent, clean and affordable aircraft that will be able to blend into existing infrastructures and regulations to ease its deployment and maximise social acceptance.
If you are looking for a place where you will have a direct impact on very ambitious products, where you will work close to the hardware and where you can witness the result of your hard work quickly, board ATEA and come fly with us toward the future of aviation!
As a member of the technical team at Ascendance you will actively participate in the development and hardware implementation of the thermal hybrid engine. You will help characterise the performance of the thermal engine in the hybridisation process in both development and testing on a full scale test bench. You will work in close collaboration with the Head of Propulsion in an effort to push forward these critical topics in the future of a greener aviation.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Characterisation of a piston engine in terms performance and functions.
- Provide support in interactions with the motor supplier to assess data and handle issues
- Definition of the test sequence associated such as SIL, HIL or full test bench tests
- Analyse tests to identify improvements that you will design and implement
- Support to tuning of control algorithms from simulation and physical test data
- You are an engineering school student or equivalent in the fields of mechanical engineering with a strong focus on thermodynamics and aeronautics engines (piston, turbines,..)
- You have a good understanding of the challenges related to the integration of a thermal engine in an aircraft
- You have a good understanding of command and control systems especially in the fields of thermal engine control systems (FADEC, etc..)
- You are familiar with Matlab & Simulink software suite.
- Preferably, you have a first hands-on experience on a aircraft grade piston engine (implementation or repair activities)
- Preferably, you have a first experience in a hybrid electric system
- Preferably, you have a good understanding in electrical engineering
- Preferably, you have a first experience in start-up or industrial group
- You are a Team player capable to work independently
- You are ongoing and personable, enthusiastic and self driven
In a nutshell, if you want to work in a deep tech startup that will change the way people travel, if you want to be a part of the future of mobility or if you want to face complex but thrilling challenges, apply and join us!