Senior expert in electrical machines
At Ascendance we are building tomorrow’s flying taxi: Atea, a unique Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft with a hybrid propulsion system.
We believe that the future of mobility will include the sky and that operational fit will be key to support the emergence of this market.
Therefore we focused our efforts in designing an innovative, safe, silent, clean and affordable aircraft that will be able to blend into existing
infrastructures and regulations to ease its deployment and maximise social acceptance.
Ascendance has been co-founded by four former Airbus’ employees in January 2018. We were at the heart of the E-FAN program, achieving the historic first Channel crossing by an electric plane on July, 10th 2015.
At Ascendance you will not only join passionate people that want to make an impact, you will also join a whole innovative ecosystem, the flexibility and agility of a startup and you will work on a product that will disrupt the mobility market.
If you are looking for a place where you will have a direct impact on a very ambitious product, where you will work close to the hardware and where you can witness the result of your hard work directly on our physical prototypes, board Atea and come fly with us toward the future of mobility!
You will have a major role in the growing team as being in charge of the propulsion system’s multiple electrical machines on board, comprising both electric motors and their associated controllers, from the derivation of aircraft functional and performance requirements onto the propulsion systems to designing and implementing associated solutions and ultimately, the planning of the appropriate test campaign.
- Lead the collaborative detailed design, development, specification, interfaces definition, supplier selection and integration of the aircraft’s multiple electrical machines including electric motors, generators and power electronics and control.
- Build a cutting-edge integration for high performance electric motors and power electronics with a focus on thermal behavior and taking into account EMC interactions.
- Ensure safe and reliable use of electrical propulsion in the entire flight envelope of the aircraft.
- Model and predict performance on the electrical machines including transient behavior and failure cases.
- Drive the different trade-offs at system level and actively participate in aircraft level trade-offs to reach a global optimum in design and performance including solutions recommendations and associated implementation.
- Actively participate hands-on in the integration and testing campaign phases of your system as well as the aircraft flight tests.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has extensive experience in designing cutting-edge electrical machines and power electronics with high safety, reliability and performance requirements.
- Demonstrates strong skills in Simulink/Simpower Systems.
- Is used to design and develop innovative thermal, mechanical and electrical, including EMC/EMI, integration solutions for high voltage electrical networks.
- Is able to work autonomously with a drive for initiative related to the start-up environment and work in a small team.
It would be a plus if you:
- Have experience in prototyping.
- Have experience of CS-23 and/or CS-27 certification requirements.
- Have experience in industry standards such as DO-254, DO-178, DO-160.
- Have experience in developing systems under ARP 4754.
- Know hybrid propulsion systems.
- Know and use UML/SysML modelling language.
In a nutshell, we are looking for someone with:
- 15+ years of experience in electrical machines design, implementation and testing preferably in on-board systems.
- A hands-on innovative approach to electrical engineering with a taste for challenging problems.
- A proven track record of implementing safe and reliable powertrains.
- Knowledge of the aeronautics industry and its specific set of constraints.